2.25.2011

Katie's Top Ten Dramatic Movies (No Comedies Allowed!)



1) "The Shawshank Redemption" Beautiful story, excellent acting, just the best.

2) "Forrest Gump" Tom Hanks is amazing in it, and (spoiler alert) I cry EVERY TIME during the scene at Jenny's grave.



3) "Schindler's List" An unbelievable story, and the acting is superb. I also love the use of color (or lack thereof).


4) "Steel Magnolias" I know this movie is funny, too, but I think it counts as a drama. Sally Field is amazing. This is my go-to "need a good cry" movie, for sure. Again, the graveside scene makes me cry every time. (I am noticing a theme here...hm.)



5) "La Vie Est Belle" ("Life is Beautiful") Heartbreaking and beautiful. I love the portrayal of the power of love and family in the midst of horror.

6) "Up" I know it's weird to have a cartoon on my list, but this movie made me laugh and cry. I love the story and the lesson. And the animation is unbelievable.



7) "It's a Wonderful Life" Classic story and movie. Not just for Christmas time!


8) "The Count of Monte Cristo" I love a good redemptive story. Even though I thought it was "Monte Crisco" for the longest time...which sounds gross.


9) "Memento" I love a movie that makes me think. I distinctly remember watching this for the first time and then talking with my friend (shout out to Meli!) FOREVER figuring out what happened. (And no, the mystery was not "Was that or was that not Tom Cruise?" Guy Pearce just looks a lot like him.)

10) "Man on Fire" Another redemption story, and I love Denzel. Great story with a twist, too.

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):

1) "Harvey"
2) "The Silence of the Lambs"
3) "A Beautiful Mind"
4) "Stranger than Fiction"
5) "Juno"

[All images from imdb.com]

2 comments: